Topband: K9AY loop and preamp?

Peter Dougherty w2irt at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 10:35:11 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm intending to put up a K9AY loop from Array Solutions once they
start shipping, but I have a couple of questions:

1) The control box contains a preamp; just wondering if I should
ignore the internal one and get a high-end model, maybe something
like an RPA-1 from DX Engineering?

2) This is going on a typical suburban 1/3 acre lot. It will be about
30-40' from my 70' crank-up tower/C31XR/80m Inverted Vee and about
50-60' from the inverted-L which will be my 160 transmit antenna.
Obviously there will be some interaction, but judging by these
distances, do you think I may be wasting my money with the whole K9AY
solution to begin with?

I'm not anything close to an engineer or antenna guru and quite new
to 160 (this is my 2nd season). My primary interest is DXing, and a
little bit of contesting for fun. I have no interest in working
domestic stations outside of contests. No room for a beverage, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance! I also have a couple of questions on inverted Ls
that I will post separately.

73,

Peter,
W2IRT