Topband: K9AY loop and preamp?

Chortek, Robert L Robert.Chortek at berliner.com
Mon Nov 20 12:17:58 EST 2006

Hi Peter,

I live on a small lot in San Jose, California (abt 12,000 sq feet). I
use a 60 foot base loaded vertical with 12 elevated radials on top band
mounted on one side of the lot. On the other side of the lot, about 100
feet away, I have a K9AY loop (the older two direction version due to my
space limitations).

Frankly, I find the loop only very marginally helpful on 160.  It does
provide a useful front to back ratio of 2 - 3 units at times, but in my
location, it reduces the signal and noise in equal amounts, for no net
benefit in s/n ratio on 160.  On 80 meters, it performs a little better,
on 40 meters even better (but you can not use the internal preamp
because it attenuates signals below 80 meter, and on 30 meters the thing
works GREAT.  It cuts the noise to ZERO and I can hear many many
stations I could not otherwise hear. It is amazing on 30.  So, if it
were me, and I wanted some help on 160, I would not bother, if on 80, it
would be worthwhile, but not that often, if on 40 it would be well worth
doing, and on 30, run don't walk, to your nearest dealer, hi!  Things
might be different in a different location...

The quality of the until is "outstanding", and has held up very well
outdoors for several years.

Good luck,

73,

Bob/AA6VB.