Topband: Topband antenna for 1-men-show in HB0 January 2007

dl2obo dl2obo at hotel-hellers-krug.de
Fri Oct 27 06:42:42 EDT 2006

Hi topbanders

I will be QRV again from the "Chalet Barsuela" in HB0- Liechtenstein from 1. - 9 January 2007
The focus is on 30m to 160m with CW, a little SSB and I try to be on RTTY / PSK first time.

In January 2006 I used a 2el 80m W8JK-Beam to NA with great (?) success  ( XE, W6, W7, VE6).

The 160m 2el-version was not that good (much too low in height,hi)  (ODX  Nevada) so I will try a vertical with elevated radials this time, also to have a better antenna towards JA/Asia. From the QTH (see www.dl2obo.de.vu ) North and East is completely covered by high mountains so it's really not easy to work JA (got 8 JAs + HL3IUA).

Especially the Top-Band was giving a thrill and I will try to be most time on that band if demanded.

Maybe some can tell me how to solve my "radial problem" for the 160m toploaded vertical.

I have a 12m alloy mast and will put a 10m fishing rod on top with "T" or "L"-loading
1.)    Can I lay isolated wires "on the snow" or must I use stakes to have them more "elevated" ?
 2.)   Shall I use few 1/4 wl or more 1/8 wavelength radials ? by a given total wire length of 400m/1200ft ?
        (please no formulas, I am a simple chef)

Thank you for any help (offtopic?) .

Rig is  ft1000mp with AL-1200 amp ( spare: Ft897 and ic706 and UY5ZZ amp with 800w )
Logic 8 logging

Remember, I am single-op and have to fight with a lot of snow to build antennas in 8 days, have a look on my webpage to see the complete story of 2006 and earlier.

73 Tom   DL2OBO  www.dl2obo.de.vu