Topband: 12 volt relays

Thomas ac7a at cox.net
Sat Apr 7 10:09:51 EDT 2007

Rick D wrote:

>Well gents, I'm an engineer and apparently a lot of the rest of you are also....... spending 3 days fixing a $5.00 transistor radio is not unusual......... but for gosh sakes, how hard and cheap is it to throw together a 24 v power supply instead of screwing with schemes to run the relays off 12 volts?
>
>Just a thought.
>

>Rick Darwicki  -= N6PE =-

Rick,

That is an easy solution. But I think you missed the point that I was
attempting to keep my entire system powered by a single 12 to13.8V
storage battery for emergency purposes. Then the task is not quite so
direct. I think the thread was also useful because it  makes potential
users of a  seemingly acceptable circuit aware that it doesn't perform
to the level expected.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier post, I am pursuing the boost
regulator approach and now have a couple of  MC33063AP ICs on order.
I'll provide the schematic to those who have expressed interest in a
circuit after I've had a chance to build it on the bench.

Thomas - AC7A