Topband: Remote controlled antenna switches

Björn Mohr bm at broadcast.se
Mon Apr 9 10:43:30 EDT 2007

Hi Topbanders,

I am about to invest in two antenna switches and would like your input and
feedback as there is a great variety in product and pricing out there.

To start with I have read DXE's sales blurb about isolation and I wonder how
much should this be considered compared to pricing power handling etc. I
assume isolation on TB is less a of a problem than it is on higher bands,
right? What minimum isolation to look for?

I plan to have one switch connected to 3 different low band antennas and to
switch number 2 which will be in the tower serving 4-5 antennas for 40-10m.
This means both switches will be in series when tower is connected, should I
be worried about isolation?

I have looked at a few different options;

1. Ameritron RCS-8 - low cost and includes remote control. Isolation
unknown.

2. DXE 8 pos switch - Looks robust, 70 dB isolation but twice the price of
Ameritron (Outside EU order).

3. Hofi 600 - German switch with motor instead of relays, 50 dB isolation up
to 30 MHz. Seems to be top notch mechanically, remote head has serial port.
pricing is slightly below DXE for a 5 antenna switch.

73 de Björn /SM0MDG