Topband: 4 Square

David Cole g3rcq at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 06:09:45 EST 2007

Hi all and Happy Holidays -

I have been listening to the 80m nets in the morning working the DX - time after time I can only just hear the DX  but the stations working the DX give s9+ reports-

I am receiving on a DX-Engineering 4 square - also have 4 reversable 250m beverages.

This is not a one off - it happens everyday - my noise level is s1

(1) how much gain will a full size 4 square have over my DX Engineering 4 square (Tom if you read this help!!!!)

(2) The receive 4 square is better on 80 than my beverages - on 160 mostly the same but sometimes the 4 SQ wins and sometimes the beverage is better.

Could be the location - but dont think so - my transmit signal always receives excellent reports in keeping with other stations in the UK - Titanex with 75 150/200 foot radials

The receive antennas are in a separate field approx 3 wavelengths from the Titanex.

Its just puzzling me and I really am looking for a direction to improve the receive - any ideas - or any other experiences similar to mine?

Dave G3RCQ