Topband: Feeding a Cell Tower for 160?

ly2ij at qrz.lt ly2ij at qrz.lt
Thu Feb 1 04:02:44 EST 2007

Hi,

I really doubt that cell tower has good radio ground.
I am involved in rollout of such a network in LY. Grounding is
totally "electrical" and "anti lighting" - number of rods in ground,
connected between. No radio radials etc.
Is it different in US?

I support idea to put 4 sloping dipoles from selfstandig tower and
feed them with Comtec box. One trip up the tower, half a day work
with preparation before. Even good for receiving for first 3 months
(then need for extra RX antennas arrises).

I use one of "my" tower for 2 winters now with 3 such a dipoles
hanging down 25 degrees.
If compare antennas on DXCC count - 208 now :)
Radio ground would help for sure, but no possiblity. Antenna works
much better after long heavy rains. SWR doesn't change, but easier
to break pile-ups.

73 CU
Arunas LY2ij