Topband: Small lot antenna idea

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Feb 10 06:12:10 EST 2007

>  The question now becomes how to I ground it? I could tap
> into the plumbing in the house, but then the wire would be
> laying right on top of the counterpoise. I dont know how
> that would affect the signal.

The RF would see the house wiring as a "ground" if you
connect to it or not. Unless you chop the wires up in the
house with cutters they will always have considerable effect
on any wire near them.

For this reason you are better off to use an antenna that is
not wrapped around the house, even if it has less wire
length. A counterpoise or good ground is important in any
Marconi antenna, since the other terminal is ground. Even a
small antenna will radiate well if it is properly loaded, is
in the clear as much as possible, and uses a good ground.

73 Tom