Topband: Small lot antenna idea

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Feb 9 11:46:16 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:40:11 -0800 (PST), steve d wrote:

>  The question now becomes how to I ground it?

Study the ARRL Antenna Book on the topic of "Ground."  An EARTH
connection does NOTHING for an antenna system. What you need is WIRE
to return the antenna current, in the form of radials or a
counterpoise.  W2DU has a really good discussion of this on his
website. Google to find it, then download the chapters of his book
that are online.

At my old QTH on a city lot in Chicago, I used the combination of a
wrought iron fence and a dozen or so radials. Ya gotta look at what
you CAN do, and do your best. But the ONLY value of an EARTH
connection is lightning protection (and for that, it's quite
important).

Also study the ARRL Antenna Book (and ON4UN's book) on the topic of
efficient (that is, less wasted power, greater bandwidth) than a
coil.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC