Topband: QSLing

BLamboley at aol.com BLamboley at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 08:19:40 EST 2007

And now for something completely different!  I have a modest 160 station, and
have recently enjoyed discovering some of its joys.  I am learning a lot
reading the Topband reflector as well.  I decided that a good challenge might be
to go for the 160 meter WAS award - sort of like when I was a novice back in
the '50s and thought plain WAS was about as good as it could ever get.  I waited
until I had worked HI and AK and had cards from them before I got really
serious.  My efforts in the ARRL 160 contest last December netted me QSOs in all
the states, so I promptly sent off SASEs to the states I still needed.  I
mailed a total of 44 cards.  I rediscovered the thrill of walking fast (I do not
run anymore) to the mailbox in excited anticipation of the cards that would get
me WAS on 160.  Of the 44 QSLs I mailed I got back 29.  I was really
surprised!  What with all the press about 160 being the "Gentleman's Band" I figured
real gentlemen would also QSL!  Big mistake.

The CQ 160 netted me more QSOs, and I sent out more SASEs.  I now have only 5
more states to go.  But I was really surprised at the overall lack of
response.  Was it something I said?  Is this typical?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Best,

Wes - W3WL