Topband: 160m Mobile whips as a dipole, or a beam ?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jan 3 14:08:20 EST 2007

>         Tim, since these are for RX only, you might
> consider a 75:50 ohm transformer based on the Mix 73
> binocular cores.

I would not use a small resonant whip. The reason being
reactance changes far too fast with frequency. This means
each antenna contributes a different phase shift to the
system if not perfectly resonant. Bandwidth of the antenna
is far too narrow.

The sharp tuning may be helpful in a multi-multi where the
antenna is close to transmitting antennas if tuning never
changes or if the operating frequency range is very small,
but as a general rule I'd avoid it.

I'd also never use a transformer to change impedance. If the
base impedance is too high, I'd use a shunt resistor. If the
base impedance is too low, I'd use a series resistor for
matching.

The concept behind each element is to have the widest
possible SWR bandwidth. This means a feedpoint located
have as much capacitance as possible up as high as possible.
This is a very important guideline.

Again the concept is to use a broadly tuned antenna, not a
narrow one. Think base loading coil, a reasonably tall
antenna, capacitance hat at the top, and resistors for
impedance matching. The goal for best performance is 75 ohms
over the widest possible frequency range.

73 Tom