Topband: More Beverage info

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 16:30:03 EST 2007

After reading all the responses to this topic, it occurred to me that I inadvertently left out an important piece of data regarding the conditions under which I made all my observations.

Unlike Tom's perfect dairy farm QTH, I have some local noise. This noise is generated by a ancient power line to the south of me that the local utility refuses to replace. This noise is spread over approximately 60° of compass heading.

Let's assume two Beverages pointing in the same direction in a somewhat different direction than the noise source. A short Beverage with a wide front lobe would hear the noise. In my case the noise from the power lines will be quite a bit stronger than the propagated noise on this short Beverage. Switching to a longer Beverage with a narrower front lobe and more side nulls eliminates this power line noise and now propagated noise dominates. Presto, magically an instant 10 dB or more improvement in S/N from an antenna that is theoretically only a couple dB better in a computer environment where the noise is equal from all azimuths and elevations.

I believe this will mitigate the differences between what Tom predicts and what I actually see performance wise. YMMV!!

On another note, Yahoo has made some more changes to their email service and caused  my responses to the reflector to have the format corrupted. I apologize for the difficulty reading and sorting out my comments. If I can't figure out how to fix this, I guess I'll transfer my list account to one of my POP3 email accounts where I control what my email looks like.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA
http://w7iuv.com