Topband: Beverage height issues

David Sinclair k3ky at radioprism.com
Thu Jan 11 13:28:31 EST 2007

Larry Molitor wrote:

>  Most of the damage from animals seems to occur because they can't
>  see the small  gauge wire at night. Let them see it!
>
>  73,
>  Larry - W7IUV

Indeed. Some wire spans would probably benefit from having short strips
of plastic or similar tied onto them at regular intervals. This helps
greatly if you want humans or animals to see the wire and avoid it.
This would do little good if the wire is in any sort of traffic area
but not high enough to clear the traffic. Horseback riders are about
the worst case. Fortunately, most of us don't have that issue. Cover
that wire with tassels until you start looking like a used car lot.

Short spans where an above ground wire briefly runs to ground, BOG
style, would probably work even better and call less attention to the
antenna, if you prefer to remain stealthy. Likely, this may work,
depending on your local ground type.

I'm planning to try a few short BOG wires here on my small lot to
see if they work better for me on 160 and 80.

73, David K3KY