Topband: 24th January 2007 Conditions

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Jan 24 12:22:25 EST 2007

It sure did pay-off to have that extra glass of water before bedtime last night...!

I awoke just after midnight local time (EST), & found that the band --- besides being quite full with a good variety of European stations --- contained what seemed like more than its usual share of Scandinavians, i.e. LA, OH, OZ, SM, etc.

In the course of an hour, or so, I proceeded to leisurely fill my log with over a dozen good contacts. It was a pleasure to work some truly outstandingly strong signals, i.e. I2ZFD, DK2FG, G3XGC, OE5KE, G3ROO, OH5VT, and SM6CLU. PA0CLN --- heard, but not worked --- was so loud into VE3-land that I initially took him to be one of our friends south of Lake Ontario!

One of the benefits to operating at this hour --- besides the improved propagation, of course --- is the fact that there is precious little competition from other North American stations. It helps to be retired, too...! Hi Hi

I've now discovered yet another reason why drinking water is so good for you...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ