Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 1 15:08:47 EDT 2007

K3OX:
 >The Elecraft K3 should also be a strong performer when it becomes available.

         Yes, there's a new sheriff in town:

N6KR: "But just to give you a hint:  a couple of days ago Eric measured a
blocking dynamic range of 143 dB, and it remained 143 dB at 20 kHz, 5
kHz, and 2 kHz.  To put this into perspective, the K2, IC-7800, Orion II,
and FTDX9000all have a blocking dynamic range of -133 to -135."

WA6HHQ: "As an example, we're seeing third order IMD D.R. numbers on
20M at 20 kHz spacings in excess of 104 dB and 97 dB at 5 kHz with the
400 Hz filter ahead of the DSP."  (de W4ZV - Orion is ~95 dB at 5 kHz)

N6KR and WA6HHQ are the owners of Elecraft.  More info here:

http://dayton.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2007-05/msg00120.html

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I configured one with the high performance sub RX
capable of true phase-locked diversity, dual 500 Hz filters
and the KXV3 (for RX ANT input) for $2525 unassembled.