Topband: Pennant performance observations/issue

W2pm at aol.com W2pm at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 07:40:03 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/19/2007 6:47:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
k4kyv at hotmail.com writes:

Has  anyone been able to use these antennas get good nulls for relatively
short  skip distances (150-1000 miles) on 160? What about 80/75?

I have had  some good results with directional receiving antennas for local
groundwave  signals such as noise sources and AM broadcast stations, but have
never  found anything that was particularly useful for nulling out skywave
signals at relatively close distances, to improve readability of a station
(local or DX) that I am trying to hear through crowded band  conditions.

I have used shielded loops and beverages, but never tried  pennants or flags.
Would they be worth the effort?

Don  k4kvy

Don - all the Flags and Pennant's I've used, even 1/2 sized and smaller
version, show very deep nulls and good compliance with the Eznec cardiodal
patterns.  When AA1K in Delaware about 160 miles south is on in the early  AM - he
is 20 over on the Inverted L, S3 on the NNE Pennant, and S7 on the SSE  one
(without the preamp on).  Similar results with KV4FZ who is about 1,200  miles
SSE.  The F/B performance is superb, and the rear minor lobe can be  moved
around and adjusted by playing with the terminating resistor value - altho  it is
NOT worth the effort.  In addition I placed my NNE pennant such that  the rear
null faces a power line - which is normally fairly quiet but still good  for
S3 noise on a good nite - S0 with the Pennant null facing it.

In my view these are good alternatives to the superior Beverages offering
fall smaller footprint, rotability, good (not as good tho) as Beverages.  I
also find my exceptionally useful for local QSO noise reduction and DX'ing on 80
- 30 meters.  On 40 and 30 particularly useful is snapping around fat SW BC
or Utility stations.

73 Pete W2PM