Topband: Binocular Cores & Radials

Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) w5uc at suddenlink.net
Sat Nov 10 09:56:58 EST 2007

Good morning All

I have two unrelated items this morning.  I promised a follow up on
the binocular core debacle. Yesterday I built a new Xfrmr on that
same core that gave me problems previously. It works like a champ, so
I can only conclude that the problem was with the cracked enamel on
the wire in the previous xfrmr.  Last night wasn't a good time to get
a good evaluation as signals out of Europe were poor at best. I do
see a significant increase in signal level from the antenna, and have
concluded that is due to the much closer coupling of the windings.

Now please, a question about radials. I have a very small number(4)
of long (120 feet or so) radials, and a significant number (62 or 63)
of other radials varying in length from 30 feet to 60 or 70 feet. The
long radials go out to the edge of the property and then turn toward
the longest dimension of the property. Would there be a worthwhile
result if the ends of the shorter radials were tied together in daisy
chain fashion, and the daisy chain eventually tied to one of the
longer radials? Small lot, limited space. I need every bit of help I
can conjure up.

Thanks & 73,
Mike, W5UC

"age & treachery will overcome youth & skill"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/