Topband: new to 160M dx

G B microsys at alltel.net
Wed Oct 10 09:06:00 EDT 2007

Hello,

First post....

I am new to 160M dx and am trying to learn.  I built a 30-160M inv L with
traps, and it
is almost pure vertical to the 75M trap, then goes to the top of a tree at
about a 30 degree
angle.  I think it is working well.  14 160M radials now, hope to add more
later.

I also have an unusual 'low noise' rx antenna.  I love loops, and am in the
process of putting
up a 1500' horz loop at about 70'.  Right now it is a 700' long dipole until
I close the loop.
It works very well on 30 and 40M at this stage.  I digress...anyway, I made
a 1250' long loop with
insulators around a portion of my property at about 8' above the ground.

This loop is very quiet compared to the other antennas on the low bands.  It
is fabulous on 40M,
sometimes having a better signal than my xmit antenna and great s/n ratio.
However, I just built
a flag antenna in a delta config according to ON4UN's book.  I have not
errected it yet, and am
anxious to see how it compares to my loop on 160M.  I also have plans to
build that W7I?? preamp.

I have only tried dx the past few days.  I made three eu contacts in short
order.  Then the problems
started.  I could hear folks, and called and called with no response.  Some,
did, get a partial call
sign.

Do I need an amp to do 160M dx???  I have an sb-220, and have considered
modifying it.  It has already
been upgraded with a bunch of new stuff and works great on the other bands.

73's

Glen K4KV
Moultrie, GA