Topband: Need Help IDing Noise - update

Cliff Frescura cf at cfcorp.com
Sun Oct 21 09:53:58 EDT 2007

Thanks to all that responded.

Especially helpful was ON4WW's tip of DFing the noise with a tribander.
Sure enough, on 10m the noise peaked at due north and was not heard in any
other directions.  That was the tipping point.

As K1KP, K1PX and others suggested I drove around with the AM radio in the
due north direction from the house and think I found the pole where the
noise is coming from.  It looks like a mess too, there are a least 4 groups
of feeder lines that form a junction at this pole at multiple heights on the
pole.

I need to apply the VHF/UHF DFing technique before I am sure enough to
contact SoCal Edison.

I'm also beginning to think I have two sources of noise, one that is
constant and one with some periodicity.

Thanks again to all.

Cliff K3LL/6