Topband: Inverted L or no Inverted L

George (K8GG) & Marijke Guerin gmguerin at voyager.net
Fri Sep 7 17:51:24 EDT 2007

Allan, W2TN wrote:
----- Original Message -----

Subject: Topband: Inverted L or no Inverted L

>I am considering putting up an inverted L, but the XYL won't let me put in
>the radials.  Is there something else I should put up instead?  I assume
>that the inverted L will not work without radials!
>
> Insight would be appreciated
> Thanks
> Allan W2TN

Allan et. al.,

The answer is no radials will produce a large ground resistance loss for the
antenna.
As one of the Battle Creek Special team, I can tell you that one Pacific
DXpedition some years ago only put out a few radials under a BC Special (48
foot tall inverted-L) the first week and were worked only in W6-W7 and maybe
W0 land to their east.  After the second team arrived and all 30 radials
were deployed, their signals were marginal on the east coast and very
copiable in W8-W9-land.

I hope you can get out a pizza cutter and slide some radials into the sod or
earth.  An inverted Vee will work on 160, but put a lot more energy at a
high angle enhancing local contacts.

Good luck  73

George    K8GG