Topband: CQ DX...calling protocol

RK midnight18 at cox.net
Tue Aug 26 13:14:01 EDT 2008

Top Band ops,

Jon makes some very valid points. His pursuit of topband operation is focused
on the DX aspect of operating. He has devoted enormous time, effort and money
to achieve his personal goals. The point made about short openings is real.
Mid-East, Central Asia and Indian Ocean openings from the Left Coast are in
minutes and seconds not to mention very specific times with little or no
deviation.

Today's DX'er however, is a different breed from yesterday. Sometimes I wonder
if a QSO on the reflector would not suffice.  Some times callers want to
renew old acquaintances, check antenna operation, or just say hello. I am in
fact guilty of calling as well. I rarely hear a CQ anymore. Gone are the days
of Stu, Charlie, Jack and Earl who would accommodate anybody.

I'm looking forward to another great season!

73

Bob

--

Bob Kile, W7RH