Topband: CQ DX...calling protocol

Raoul Coetzee raoulc at smmcape.co.za
Tue Aug 26 16:47:32 EDT 2008

> Jon makes some very valid points. His pursuit of topband operation is
> focused
> on the DX aspect of operating. He has devoted enormous time, effort and
> money
> to achieve his personal goals. The point made about short openings is
> real.
> Mid-East, Central Asia and Indian Ocean openings from the Left Coast are
> in
> minutes and seconds not to mention very specific times with little or no
> deviation.

I agree with the openings, I listened for 2 weeks every possible (dark)
moment to work VP6DX, and on my last possible day, for about 3 minutes, I
could hear them but they were working EU, then the op said SA.
Well, SA is South Africa ? wink wink. I got it. Then they were gone for
me.Total opening for 3 minutes!! Now if some local called me during their
reply......
But I also like to work anybody when conditions are poor or no signals on
the band , just to confirm that a path exists.
But do ops still honour KN?
I do hope so, on 160m!
73 Raoul, ZS1REC

Internal Virus Database is out of date.