Topband: Matching Transformer

AD5VJ Bob rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 18:51:19 EST 2008

OK Lets first say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Now, I just made a 9:1 transformer from a donut ferrite (I am pretty sure it is Amidon 43 if I remember what he said) that another
Ham sent me (I think off this list) a while back.

Anyway, I made it from an article that I downloaded from a link one of you guys sent me. So thanks very much for all the responses
and the information all of you have shared with me and it looks just like the article so hoping it will work.

It really wasn't too hard to make although I had to hunt for the super glue and my hands started to cramp after a little while (but
guess you get used to that and it wears off after a while).

Now I go to a link on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150316387834

and saw where a guy is selling in the UK a BALUN which he says it 9:1 for beverages, long wires, ect and it doesn't look a thing
like mine I just built. Now keep in mind mine is a matching transformer and he is calling his a BALUN.

Guess I am not understanding the difference of why one would use a 9:1 BALUN vs a matching transformer. Since his looks completely
different than mine a transformer and BALUN must not be the same thing.

   73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
http://www.ad5vj.com/
Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET