Topband: Matching Transformer

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Dec 25 23:20:20 EST 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:51:19 -0600, AD5VJ  Bob wrote:

>Guess I am not understanding the difference of why one would use
a 9:1 BALUN vs a matching transformer. Since his looks completely
>different than mine a transformer and BALUN must not be the same
thing.

Bob,

"Balun" is one of those soft squishy words that means many things
to many people, and most people who use the word are mis-using it.
People who came up with the word call it a device that can be used
to convert a circuit from balanced to unbalanced. That's nice, but
it's REALLY VAGUE, and it often conceals a lot of very muddy
thinking.

What YOU have made is a classic transformer. That is, it uses a
magnetic field to couple voltage and current from one winding to
another. Some things that people call baluns are transformers. The
also call a common mode choke a balun. And they call
series/parallel arrays of common mode chokes a balun.

There's material on my website that talks about common mode chokes
in great detail. The ARRL Handbook has great material on
transformers.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC