Topband: Matching Transformer

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 08:27:37 EST 2008

Many hams have very limited space for a radial field...
If they can only get 8 or 12 radials on the ground, then they need to read Rudy Severn, N6LF carefully, until they understand what his research shows...

If they have less room than that, they need to read Moxon, G6XN, 'HF ANTENNAS FOR ALL LOCATIONS', carefully... He goes through the basics of installling very short, elevated radials, that work...  I am not going to try to give a synopsis of his book... Those with limited space, and limited experience need to read the book...

I will point out that decoupling the coaxial feedline is one of the keys to success with short radials... A good choke (actually a pair of 4:1 BALUN's back to back will do wonders... Then 0.125 wave of coax and a solenoidal choke, willl significantly decouple the line...

denny / k8do