Topband: Boring Report

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Thu Jan 3 14:50:49 EST 2008

    First congrats on getting up another element on TX for the Boring arsenal. Perhaps you have, or I could bring over a 2 channel scope and current probes sometime. You could check the phase difference in current flowing in the Gamma arm compared to current in the tower. Or, the two elements for that matter as N6LF did for your 80 meter 4-square. I am sure enquiring minds would like to know about the gamma arm and tower current phase relationship.
    Most interesting your comments about conditions. I was on earlier in the evening than it appeared you were. Early on signals from RA4, SM, and etc. were arriving almost straight over the pole here. I had to use the North antenna direction which is seldom used here and did manage q's with Ra4LW and CT1FJK. Early on there was still directivity however by the time the EL2 came on ALL, and I mean all directivity was lost. Nothing unusual on any of the aurora,a,k,etc indicators that I saw.
    You had mentioned the directivity issue earlier on 160 chat and I think it must have progressed East to my location as time went on. By the time the EL2 was on I listened on 15 different antenna selections and there was NO difference in the readability of the signal from EL2 ( it was readable). The only thing that makes any sense to me is the signal must have been coming from a very high angle indeed as you and others have suggested.

   Best New Year to all    Lee K7TJR   Oregon