Topband: ADSL 160 meter RFI problems

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Jan 3 16:42:51 EST 2008

I had ADSL installed last month because I was having
problems receiving and sending mail via my remote mail host.
BellSouth is actually where the problem was at for email.
:-)

Anyway despite having a very clean installation (shielded
buried phone lines) and antennas several hundred feet away
from the ADSL system and phone lines.... 160 would just kill
the DSL modem. Even a dipole 300 feet high and 400 feet away
that had little RF in any of the lines would knock the modem
off line. I even built a very good 160 notch filter and
could not cure it.

The original modem was a Netopia 2210-02 modem. It's a tiny
little silver modem.

ATT sent me a 2701HG-B Gateway as a no charge exchange and
all the problems vanished. Even beaming straight into the
building where the modem is or using a dipole right outside
the building doesn't cause any connection problems. (I still
have the 160 notch filter I built in line.)

73 Tom