Topband: Problems with a Home Brew version of the RX 4 Square

Michael, Dana A dana.michael at tycoelectronics.com
Mon Jan 14 14:46:17 EST 2008

Hi Lee  and Everyone else on the Top Band Reflector that responded to my
request for help,

Thanks for your help !

I have the rx 4 square working better. I show about 3 to 4 S-units of
front to back on my Orion S-meter.
I used some small prewound commercial broad band transformers I had in
my stock and they must not have the windings all them same. I took them
out of all my fet followers on Saturday afternoon and wired R9 directly
to my output F connector. My R9 is 68 ohms and I don't have the pot
because I have no good way to check the gain of each follower. I also
removed RFC L2 and have the ground side of the follower hooked to the
ground side of the F connector. That all seemed to make it work much
better with the direction correct.

On Sunday I tried to adjust the attenuator pad trim pots for a better
null, but they didn't seem to do much. I have them set for about 500
ohms.

I have to add about +15 db of preamp on 160M to get the noise floor up
to the short beverages and the 4 square seems to be more directional.

I will have to do some more testing.

Thanks for your useful webpage and help.

And thanks to everyone else that sent suggestions.

73, Mike W3TS