Topband: radial depth

Roy royanjoy at ncn.net
Tue Jan 29 10:47:29 EST 2008

About,

"Hi all - can anyone tell me if there is a depth in ordinary soil that is
too deep  for radials.

I have a field which is currently growing wheat - when we harvest this year
I am thinking of digging down approx 1m and laying a new radial system.

At this depth when I plough I will not touch the radials system - in fact 1m
is really overkill unless I use the subsoiler which may get a bit close."

Thanks from Dave G3RCQ

Dave,

Yes. Most books recommend no deeper than a "few inches" because if radials
are beneath very much soil, every benefit of using radials is lost through
losses above them.

73,    Roy    K6XK