Topband: Power levels on 160

John Harden, D.M.D. jhdmd at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 1 07:27:33 EDT 2008

I really enjoyed hearing the various viewpoints on 160 operation, and the
required power levels necessary for consistent communication. If you are
trying to work DX on 160 (and to do it consistently) you need beverages to
receive with and at least one tall vertical antenna with a good radial
system. Anything less than that and you will have to wait in line with the
masses.

We all know that 1500 watts could very easily be called QRP. I do realize
that power levels above 1500 watts are illegal. However, there is plenty of
BIG POWER out there. This is nothing new.

In the 50's and 60's the FCC would show up at QTH's with a field strength
meter and take a reading. Then they would go inside and tell the ham to tune
up to a kilowatt input, and take another reading. If the two did not
coincide a citation was issued. There were individuals that were caught
running 10 KW. Water cooling lines to the finals were a dead giveaway!

Incidentally, I do not run big power here. I am just stating facts.

73,

John, W4NU

(K4JAG 1959 to 1998)