Topband: 2 wire Beverage transformers-more

Dave Blaschke w5un at wt.net
Fri Jun 20 18:23:24 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who replied to my original call for help.

I have two miles of what I believe to be WD-1A wire. This wire has
two close spaced conductors, a black vinyl insulation, and consists
of 3 steel wires and 4 copper wires in each conductor (It is very
easy to separate the conductors without damaging the insulation).
Does anyone know the characteristic impedance of this wire?

I want to replace my three sets of bi-directional Beverages with this
wire. It will eliminate a lot of hassle with spacers,
insulators,  routing through the woods, aluminum wire breakage,
etc.  Is anyone doing this? If so I am very interested in talking
with you. Yes, I am looking at the KD9SV transformers, (thanks Gary),
but I would like to wind my own. I do have plenty of the 43 mix
binocular cores on hand, and may even be young enough to still roll
my own. We shall see.

Dave, W5UN