Topband: Getting started on 160

Robert Kavanagh ve3osz at rac.ca
Sat Jun 28 20:54:17 EDT 2008

Dave, G4GED, said:

"Why dont you just connect-up your 100W to your inv L and get operating. Best
way to learn about the band. You'll work plenty and can think about
increasing power and other refinements as you gain hands-on experience.
However, "split" working is essencial for most serious DXing on 160m, just
as on other bands."

I wholeheartedly agree with Dave's advice, and disagree strongly with
those who recommend that K7MKS should start with high power.
Joe said that his goals were chatting, WAS, and some DX. As Dave
said, Joe must start by learning something about topband. He must
learn about propagation on that band, about how his inverted L works
and the value of radials, about operating procedures. He must learn
to walk before he runs.

With 100 watts Joe will be able to do everything he wants to do. It
is unfortunate that so many people think that one cannot have an
enjoyable and productive experience on 160 without using an
amplifier. I have never used more than 100 watts and never will. I do
not own an amplifier. But I have had many years of happy operating on
160 despite this limitation. Yes, it took me a bit longer to get my
160 DXCC, and I am often clobbered by the big guns, but it is a
challenge. When, once in a while, I can have a QSO with Bob, VK3ZL, I
probably get a bigger kick out of it than do those who are using
kilowatts. I have learned a lot about 160 in the process. Isn't that
why we are amateur radio operators ?

Bob
VE3OSZ