Topband: Static build-up on non-grounded antennas

Lars Harlin lars.harlin at one.se
Sat Nov 22 16:36:40 EST 2008

Regarding Carl's, SM6CPY, question and responses to that.
Sure would an RF-choke or a resistor serve to discharge the antenna and keep its potential at ground level. But on the other hand, if you are using an amplifier (which most of us are) it should present a DC short to the antenna thru the coax, as tube amplifiers already have an RF-choke across it's output. Transistor amps usually have a lo Z output for DC, so that would be the same. So, the remaining question is: Why does'nt that help?

Did the same reflection at my QTH this morning and I live about 1000 km north from Carl AND it did'nt snow!

Anyone?