Topband: Report from Willis Islands DXpedition

Rick Spiegel w0ric.ham at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 20:42:53 EDT 2008

*Report from Willis Islands DXpedition*
------------------------------
The Willis Islands Group, Mid Isl. Thursday, October, 16th
This is the seventh day of operation. We had two days with heavy gusty
winds. The long enduring rainfall for more than a day gave us some relief.
It was refreshing to have a sweet-water shower from the sky and temperature
dropped to 28 degrees C. Today the sun is back again and we are experiencing
39 degrees in the operator tents, with linear amplifiers running.

Our receiving situation on the lowbands is heavily influenced by static
noise, which usually comes up to 20-30 db over S9, a real challenge for our
operators. We obviously built the 30m 4 square too close to the water,
because two Verticals were nearly washed into the sea by the heavy surf. We
managed to fix the guy-ropes and pegs again and could keep the antenna into
operation. For the same reason, we also moved the 40m 4-square a few meters
away from the beach. We also put up a 6m-antenna, but there is no activity
at all so far.

Today we crossed the line of 40.000 Qs. Stations are pouring in in great
numbers still. Unfortunately especially the W-path is interfered and jammed
heavily on 160m. but we will do our very best to get as many of you as
possible in the log. We also have set up a fifth station and now are able to
operate from all five positions at the same time, to cater the needs of all
of you even better.

Tomorrow, we are expecting the "Rum Runner", who will bring us more
supplies, out friend Dale, VK4DMC, Bernd (DK2JW; our "tourist") and the new
rookie Rhy, ZS6DXB. Unfortunately Josh, W4WJF will be leaving with the "Rum
Runner" in the next day, but this also means that Rhy will be joining our
effort. Josh says he has loved working you all on the bands and has greatly
enjoyed his experiences so far. He came in mainly as a SSB operator but has
made quite a few CW contacts with you on-the-air. Even though he said some
operators complained of his slow speed, his proficiency has improved so far.
He is lucky since he doesn't have to help break down the antennas and the
camp AND can go home and put VK9DWX in his log! He thinks the idea of
inviting rookies along on DXpeditions is a great idea. In the US, he said
many DXers were inspired by this idea and he hopes to give a few
presentations about his trip in order to motivate others to sponsor a rookie
on their next DXpedition.

We are expecting a great weekend and another exciting week full of pile-ups
on the Island.
We will enjoy to work you in CW, SSB and RTTY on all bands!
73 de the VK9DWX-Team

P.S.: Just a few minutes ago the Rum Runner arrived at Willis Island. Around
noon we will start to transfer the persons and the ordered supplies. *We
would be delighted if DX editors would publish this information as widely as
possible and DXers bring it to the attention of their clubs and fellow
DXers.*