Topband: QSL AND BROADBAND

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 26 14:11:37 PST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:21:08 -0500, CRAIG CLARK wrote:

>"PS I?m not going to join Lotw. My qth is in a rural area and the telecom
>has not yet succeeded in broadbanding that area (the US guys might reflect
>on this matter - the rest of the world is not USA)

LOTW works on low speed (dial-up) circuits, and I believe it also works on
files exchanged by surface mail (for example, a CD or floppy). I use FREE
logging software called DXKeeper. It will talk to LOTW directly if you're
on the internet, but you can also use it to generate a file that the ARRL
LOTW software on your computer can use to generate a file that you can
mail, or that you can send via email. Before I got DXKeeeper working in
auto mode, (about two years ago), I uploaded my log via email twice a year.
I did that in a few hours. That's 100% QSL in a LOT less time, and for a
LOT less money than snail mail. Now that I have DXKeeper running in
automatic mode, I upload once a week!

I use N1MM for contest logging (and before that used WriteLog). Both
generate ADIF files that DXKeeper imports, so all my contest logs go to
DXKeeper, then to LOTW. Again, it's painless, 100% QSL. Sure, I'll send a
paper card to anyone who wants one, via the Bureau.

73,

Jim K9YC