Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

Dave Sharred g3nkc at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 09:06:53 EST 2009

Tree

I think that your idea is a bad one, if you don't mind me saying so !

The flaw with splits like  this is  that you might hold your run freq, since
there is no-one else there; but you will never hold your QSX freq!

Or,  you will specify a freq that you think is clear, and may not be ; and
"force" your callers to QRM someone else!

In EU, it is a fact that you need to keep the exchanges as short as poss
with weak stations (ie JA or BY); we ALWAYS run the risk of someone jumping
in and trying to steal your freq; between exchanges!

If you really want to try something different, with the aim of working EU; I
would just work co-channel higher in the band (i.e. 1870 - 1880). it is
never as densely populated there (from the EU perspective); and always much
easier to pick out weaker folks !  Dave, KY1V, elected to do this BTW when I
was at 6Y1V for the SSB leg; so I know from "over the pond" that there are
freq's available higher up the band; the EU will find you !

You  may have a problem of course with some countries with frequency
restrictions...

See you in the test !

73

Dave