Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL grimm at sbc.edu
Fri Jan 16 09:31:56 EST 2009

Tree wrote:
> All - one of the more frustrating aspects of the 160 meter contests is the
> congestion in the 1810-1850 kHz segment of the band.  I understand that
> there are many loud (and wide) European signals in this part of the band
> during the contest - and often signals from the USA west coast arer just
> lost inbetween them.
>
> I am thinking of perhaps trying to work some of the contest in SPLIT mode.
> Perhaps I can transmit up near 1900 kHz - away from QRM and listen somewhere
> in the 1810-1850 kHz "window".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Tree N6TR
> Boring, OR

Since you asked.....

How about limiting North American stations to "search and pounce" below
1.850 and CQing above 1.850?  That ought to significantly reduce the QRM
that bothers the West Coast working into Europe to a much more tolerable
level.  Even here on the East Coast, the big gun CQ machines frequently
cover up good DX, but either they are Alligators (all mouth and no ears)
or they feel that they must preserve their turf.  In either case they
are not operating in the spirit of the "gentleman's band."  If they feel
they must keep the CQ machines running, those will work just as well
above 1.850 as below.

As a DXer, I've always thought that anyone caught CQing in the DX window
during a contest should be disqualified, but realize that my opinion
isn't shared by all that many contesters.  :-(         However, I'm
pretty sure I know what W1BB would say.

Ken K4XL
k4xl at arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr