Topband: Top band conditions

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sun Jan 18 20:47:13 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:03:58PM +0000, Peter Sundberg wrote:

> Very good conditions today, with nice signals from north, central and south
> America in the morning.
>
> The band never really closed, and around noon, in full daylight, I was
> hearing west coast US stations pretty well here. Also heard HI3TEJ and
> others calling FK8CP, who was weak. A bit later, JA's started to come in,
> while NA was still good copy.
>
> Some signals were recorded, and can be heard at
>
> http://www.sm2cew.com/radiorecordings.html

I am sorry I didn't hear Peter calling me.  I did manage to work OH3XR however
at 1450z.  I understand SM5EDX was hearing me at that time, but I couldn't
pull John out of the noise.  Using Skype for CW is not perfect -- as it is
designed for the human voice.

Looking forward to getting back home on Thursday and fixing my EU beverage
before the contest.

Yesterday, I was able to visit BU2AQ.  Mr. Wu has a fantastic QTH.  You can
see some pictures here:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/gallery/album27

Also - you can see BU2AI and BU2AO, who I have worked on Topband from Oregon.
Katie, BU2AO copies CW very well!!  I was able to make N6TR transmit station
transmit "OOO" using my remote control and hear it at sunset here in BV.  This
was very fun.

73 Tree N6TR/BV2
Taipei, Taiwan