Topband: How Close is Too Close?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 30 08:44:52 PDT 2009

W4EF:

 >in general is 2 miles too close to operate the same 160
contest without incurring a significant handicap (clicks, phase-noise,
blocking)?

         Definitely too close.  I once lived ~2 miles from W0YK and
~4 miles from K0RF (flat terrain).  It was impossible to operate when
they were on.  At my present QTH I have one ham ~2 miles away who
runs 100W to a Ten-Tec Paragon and an inverted-V.  When I had my
Orion (one of the best front ends there is) I could instantly tell
when he came on the band.  If BOTH stations had K3s, it **might** be
possible to co-exist, but I wouldn't bet on it.  And I suspect the
other guy will not be very happy to have you as a neighbor in
contests...after all, he was there first.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV