Topband: Reversible beverage terminating resistors

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL grimm at sbc.edu
Sun May 3 10:26:13 PDT 2009

I've got a pair of DX Engineering reversible beverage systems and I am
delighted with how they work.  One more would cover the major points on
the compass rose that I'm interested in.  Feeling that "radio fund"
wouldn't run to a third DX Engineering set, I decided to build my own.
One point that has been discussed rather extensively on the reflectors,
on the web and in print is the size and composition of the terminating
resistor.  Generally, a 2 watt carbon composition resistor is recommended.

I checked my junk box, which is otherwise rather well stocked, to
discover that there were no 75 ohm 2 watt carbon comp resistors.
After contemplating the problem for a while, it occurred to me that
there are no 2 watt carbon composition resistors in the DX Engineering
units!  Instead, they have very cleverly brought the termination line
out through an F connector socket and used a 75 ohm F termination plug.
These plugs are available for as little as 15 cents and an average of
about 35 cents.  While they are almost certainly well shy of a 2 watt
rating, they are dead simple to replace, if and when they ever get zapped.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has copied DX Engineering's
use of the F termination plug in their reversible beverage systems.
Likewise, I would be interested to hear from anyone using the DX
Engineering system who has experienced failure of the plugs.  Is this a
weak link or a clever bit of engineering?

Ken K4XL
k4xl at arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr