Topband: Trees and RF

Jim Monahan K1PX at msn.com
Tue Nov 3 10:33:01 PST 2009

I live in an environment that is rich with trees. Actually, it is
close to being a "rain forest"

It is a watershed area so there is a high water table with trees
literally sitting on top of each other.

Unfortunately, doing any kind of clearing to improve my TX signal
is just not practical because I have several acres of trees. And, adjacent
property extends for a considerable distance.

In the past, while the foliage is present between mid May to mid November,
compared to a reference horizontal antenna at almost any distance,
the vertical is down by approximately 10 dB versus the winter time check.

And, I suspect that even the winter time conditions have some absorption.

During the summer, water literally oozes out of the trees and I have no
idea what the sap is doing.

My vertical is suspended between two 90' trees that are about 50' on
each side of it with many other smaller trees in close proximity.

It is fair to say that there is an impact but it would be quite difficult to
measure it and every ones situation is different including season changes.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX at msn.com