Topband: Confusion reigns

GEORGE WALLNER gwallner at the-beach.net
Wed Nov 25 15:37:53 PST 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:39:41 -0800 (PST)
  N7DF <n7df at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This morning TX3A was booming in on 1830 listening on
>1826 as usual, then YS4/N0AT came up on 1826.4 listening
>up 2 but a lot of people kept posting him as A31A
> Then YS4/N0AT switched his listening frequency down to
>1824 and TX3A switched his listening frequency up to 1828
> Unfortunately some people kept calling TX3A on 1826 and
>YS4/N0AT on 1828 while people kept reporting that A31A
>was calling CQ on 1826 and listening on 1828
> Was really interesting to listen in on the confusion
>especially one W7 who was messing up the TX3A pileup
>while calling A31A
> Someone finally told TX3A to ignore the W7

Which I eventually did!
The confusion was really annoying here at the TX3A end.
As you many know, TX3A is restricted in that we can not TX
below 1830.0. Therefore we have been listening down 5
(from 1830.7). (Not listening up, partly not to cause QRM
to FK8CP, who is listening up from 1831.5, and partly to
be able to work JA-s below 1825.0.) This has worked OK for
three weeks. The confusion started with A31A setting up
two days ago on 1826, just a few hundred hertz up from
where we have been listening for the past three weeks. He
was listening UP. No problem with that, we just moved the
QSX down 1 kHz, started listening DWN 6. Then last night
(NA morning), A31A started listening DWN to get some JA-s.
Later, maybe him or YS4/N0AT, started to listen UP. The
real problem here is sending UP or DWN, which is
open-ended! Some were calling A31A on 1829.7! The usable
portion of the 160 meter band is really only about 15 kHz,
less if you consider the JA-s. We have been meticolous in
giving the actual listening frequency DWN 6 or DWN 2,
whatever, but always with a frequency -- instead of the
open-ended UP or DWN. This has been to ensure that the
"pile-up" takes up as little band space as possible. The
prolem is caused by the casual UP or DWN, which is OK (and
is needed sometimes) on 15 or 20 meters where the pile-ups
are huge and there is ample room. It does not work on 160!

Please, if anybody has access to these guys, inform them
to be more frugal (and less selfish) with the 160 meter
spectrum. A lot of traffic can be worked within 1 kHz if
thoughtfully managed.

TKS es 73,

George, TX3A/AA7JV