Topband: The band was alive -

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 06:25:59 PST 2009

With the sound of fishing beacons! (and a few DX stations)

Apparently the propagation has shifted back to the south somewhat

Several fishing beacons were really loud  Notable EA2R at 1823.25 and 4OCW at 1817.25
on 1780 and 1790 there are continuous digital signals that may be GPS equipped beacons

George at TX3A was listening for my QRP signals and heard my  5 watts at 1205Z but could not hear my 850 Milliwatts at all.  Later, at 1307, he copied my QRPP signal and gave me a 549.  My sunrise was 1345

His signal had extreme QSB going from totally nil to better than 10 Db over S-9 over a period of 10 to 15 seconds but the periods of fadeout were much longer than the length of the peaks

The solar wind has been at very high levels most of the week but dropped off significantly within the last 24 hours  That might have some significance since the earths magnetic field has been "ringing" quite a bit lately from the high speed, dense solar wind and its accompanying magnetic fields.