Topband: dual-wire experiment

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 04:58:46 PDT 2009

Yes, there can be significant noise level differences between directions as close as 45 degrees apart... I see that with my Beverages which are all fed with coax...  A Beverage that points towards an urban area within 20 or 30 miles will be noisier than one that points off to open country...  Also, I had a bad transformer on a powerpole a mile away that was a noise source for my Beverage to NE, but the noise was not audible on the East Beverage...

Now having said that, the only way to know for sure if your open wire is coupling to a noise source is to replace it with coax and see if it changes...

denny / k8do