Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Sun Oct 18 08:45:55 PDT 2009

On Oct 17, 2009, at 12:29 PM, alan eshleman wrote:

Top Band DXing requires real estate.
_______

My experience is a little different. I have been on TB now for about
10 years. My city lot is 1/7 acre on the Westside of Los Angeles. I'm
almost as far South and West in the USA as you can get. The aurora
path to Europe makes those Qs very challenging. I shunt feed my HF
tower but there is no place for any radials. I have tried a number of
RX only antennas and now have a 14 x 29 ft rotatable flag on my roof.
No space for anything ground mounted. QRO is a must from the West Coast.

I'd love to have acres for antennas but that's not in future plans. My
total DXCC on TB is 165. 30 unique CCs in EU. It took 5 years for me
to make that first 100. I do a lot of listening.

My point: Acreage is certainly wonderful to have, but TB DXing can be
accomplished with modest antennas from a small city lot.

73! Steve WB6RSE