Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 82, Issue 37 K4M on 160m

G3LZQ John johndunnington at johndunnington.karoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 01:39:43 PDT 2009

I think most of our overseas friends on 160m are missing the
point...

Propagation was there at UK sunrise and indeed on more than
one occasion I sat for over 2-hrs listening to a constant
stream of USA QSO's with K4M well above noise level. One
morning up to 75-minutes after our sun up.

The argument follows that knowing (having worked one
station) that they have a Western European opening they
ignored it and carried on USA USA.

I am disappointed for on two occasions I was either queried
G3? or actually called and due to USA stations calling on
both receive and transmit frequencies the QSO was lost as
the operator just did not follow through but went on to work
other loud USA signals.

As Milt commented planning, perseverance, and execution are
a must for 160m openings even at the expense of a few rate
S9+ QSO's.

I hope to work lots during March 2010 when I plan to be on
low band 3B9 operations.

73

John G3LZQ