Topband: Best Practices and the Number Game

Nelson Moyer ku0a at mchsi.com
Wed Oct 21 06:51:05 PDT 2009

I couldn't agree more about the numbers game! Numbers have become the
measure of a successful DX'pedition, and the leader boards feed the fury, as
every self-respecting DX'er (including me) likes to see his call in the top
100, whether or not he needs all of the band/modes with those green check
marks. I can easily exercise restraint and refrain from calling on
bands/modes I don't need when there is no leader board, but post a leader
board and all restraint goes out the window. It becomes a local contest with
fellow club members.

I predicted that K4M would reverse the howl during and after FG5GA, and it
apparently did, though K4M went out of their way to work EU, while FT5GA
didn't try very hard for most of NA. I'm not sure running simultaneous
pileups up of down 2 is the answer, though. I would rather see DX'peditions
work geographical areas by propagation peaks where openings are short and
weak. Most DX ops will take the loudest signal they can hear, so
simultaneous pileups to NA and EU will mean that whichever continent has the
loudest signals will get the Qs and the others will be no better off than
before. Where multiple continents have propagation, e.g. EU and the East
Coast, or JA and the West Coast, the op has the choice to limit by continent
or not. K4M rarely called for NA exclusively except late in the operation,
leaving low band ops in NA and EU competing with JA, which isn't much of a
contest. K4M called a lot for EU on several bands and modes, giving EU a nod
for the difficult path.

While the unofficial code of best operating practices has been around for a
while, maybe it's time to reexamine it and write it into the literature on
recommended DX'pedition practices. DX'peditions that don't follow
recommended practices would disqualify themselves from DX'pedition funding
DXCC approval, and awards. That recommendation should cause a stir!

Nelson, KU0A