Topband: Top Band

Sam Morgan k5oai.sam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:22:27 PDT 2009

rick darwicki wrote:
> We can probably get more people on 160 if it wasn't only during a contest
> that someone was on the band. Many nights it is open, but void of signals.

on the other hand, it seems contests are the main time
when topband ops have the incentive
to listen down in the noise for us weak ones ;-)

> I do the 160 thing from a noisy area with a 35' height limit and have over 70
> countries so far. No beverages or big transmit antenna, just luck and timing
> the QSB.

I run a 13 foot tall Hi-Q 5/160 screwdriver styled antenna at 20'
with 16 radials each 13 feet long, sitting on my apartment roof,

Not much DX, couple of Caribbeans.
But I am able to enjoy a daily 2 hour morning chat
with 5-10 guys within 700miles every day, winter and summer.

> If you are on the band you have probably also beat yourself up working QRP hi
> hi (My No. is 3322)

Oh did I mention for the chats,I'm running my TS-450 @ 100w to the antenna,
transposes to 1.3W ERP, (after) you factor in the 1.3% efficiency? <g>

==
I guess I'll combine this post with a comment on the recent Pre Stew Perry.
I used my Elecraft K2 running wide open @ 7w out.
yea here we go with the math again......
1.3% efficiency X 7w = 91mw ERP
(I was shooting for 100mw, sigh)

In the ~3 hours I worked the contest (0130z-0348z) + (1120z-1211z)
I heard 27 stations and worked 18 of them.
Longest 2 QSO distances were:
K8QKY @ 2014km
W4ZV @ 1912km
<big_grin>

notable mention was a QRPp to QRPp contact with N7DF @ 395km
Larry said he was running:
FT 1000MP Mark V with a Diawa output meter
measuring just under 1 watt output
to a Collins Discage through 473 feet of RG 213 coax
/me wipes druel off keyboard....

to sum things up, fun can be had on 160m,
no matter what your QTH/Antenna/Power limitations,
it all just depends on where you set your sights,
and what trips your trigger and makes you grin.

--
GB & 73
K5OAI