Topband: Contest

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Mon Feb 1 19:56:53 PST 2010

> > Not that I am loud by any means,  but man when you are
> >  20 over 9 and cant hear dozens of people calling wazzup?
>

> I used to think the reason big guns did not hear me were due to their
> running directional receiving antennas, but I now suspect the majority of  the
> problem has to do with the very narrow receive filters they  run.  During
> this recent contest numerous big guns did not hear me when  they were full
> scale on my S-meter, so I just kept changing my frequency ever so  slightly and
> then they magically came right back.  It's amazing  how just a slight change
> in my TX frequency made all the difference in the  world.
>
> Don (wd8dsb)

I concur. I admit to using very narrow a filtering
when in a contest, sometimes going down to 50Hz but
when I do, I am not the one doing the calling. Most
stations reply when I respond to their CQ so they
are spot on. When I am calling CQ, I have to open
the filters to 250Hz or wider but in doing so, I
hear a lot more QRM.

There were several multipliers I needed to go after
and I had to transmit off their transmit frequency
to be heard. Sometimes 50-75 Hz was all that was
necessary but I could have replied on their transmit
freq. all night and they would have never heard me.

All considering I had to yet again put up the Inv_L
which came down Friday and the rope came undone on
Saturday... (Thank goodness for the Spud Gun talked
about in QST) I managed to eek out 662 contacts.

A lot of fun and I managed to make two WY contacts
which now makes all 50 states on 160.

Fun!

Gary ka1j