Topband: Equal Opportunitry

N7KA at comcast.net N7KA at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 19:38:57 PST 2010

Been following this issue:

Another idea to think about:  Some DX stations do NOT want a second QSO with anyone on the same BAND/MODE:  This could be to maximize the number of DIFFERENT stations that can be worked.  This can be somewhat justifiable in the normal DXing chase.  However, when the DX station enters into a contest they SHOULD NOT apply these same (DXing NO DUPES) rules because it could/does/did deprive someone of a multiplier during the contest.  If this difference was the placing of either #1 or #2 it is a rather large issue.

If you do not get a QSO logged in a contest because the DX station says dupe (using his DX reasoning) and I do get a QSO and ensuing multiplier I have gained an advantage that is NOT QUITE FAIR.

However a DX station operates is his choice, however he does create a BAD WILL among the contest community, especially those he refuses to work during a contest (using his DXing NO dupe rule).

Enforcement by the contests admin is impossible at best.  What should happen by the contest community is to endorse an operation ethic (lack of better terminology) and get that published as often and as widely as possible.  Every DXpedition or DX operator should be made aware of such and reminded often that DXing and contesting should be operated using different QSO B4 rules.

DUPE QSOs during a contest is not the issue being addressed.  That is another chapter in the book of contest operating so lets please not go there regarding this discussion.

That's my 2 cents worth.  Thanks for reading.

Arne N7KA